Shelter Tas CEO Pattie Chugg was a key presenter at the recent Homelessness Crisis Forum on 20th June, which included more than 60 stakeholders, as well as State and Federal Housing Ministers. Five key asks drawn from sector consultation were well received at the meeting.
- Forgive the historic housing debt so that the $15M annual repayments can be directed into new supply of affordable housing.
- Develop ways to fast track targeted social housing and over time, introduce inclusionary zoning.
- Independent needs analysis to capture and monitor the level of housing and homelessness need.
- Ensure any immediate response to homelessness also provides adequate revenue and specialist support to maintain temporary or emergency housing and avoid relapse into homelessness.
- An appropriate framework to ensure the safety and protection of vulnerable Tasmanians as well as those individuals who offer support to alleviate the homelessness crisis.
The Greater Hobart Homelessness Alliance was formed out of the meeting and will progress the work of the Forum. We look forward to working with others and will keep members informed of actions that work towards fixing the State’s homelessness crisis. Read the full eNews…