Everybody’s Home Campaign
This year the national theme for Homelessness Week (#HW2020) is Everybody Needs a Home and Homelessness Australia is partnering with Everybody’s Home on campaign activities.
The Social Housing Pledge
The Pledge will be launched on 3 August but can be used before or after #HW2020. We are asking you to visit your local federal member of Parliament and ask them to sign the pledge to build more social housing to create jobs and help end homelessness.
We are finalising the pledge pack of supporting materials which will contain:
- The Pledge image for MPs to hold up for a photo (attached)
- This briefing explaining the SHARP (Social Housing Acceleration and Renovation Program)to build 30,000 social housing properties over four years
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions such as “Isn’t this a state issue??!!” (version attached so you can see what is coming, but it is having some cosmetic fixes)
- A one page ‘leave behind’ for the MP (attached)
- Lobbying tips (attached)
- Stats about the level of homelessness and the shortfall in social housing in their electorate (to come)
- A draft template letter asking the MP for a meeting (attached)
- Fear not, social tiles for FB, Instagram and Twitter will be in there too (to come)
A launch event
The Pledge will be launched at an interactive online webinar and panel discussion event at 12pm on 3 August that everyone is invited to attend. Details and registration link to follow.
To build pressure on the Treasurer to include social housing investment in the Budget, Everybody’s Home will also launch an email the Treasurer action for individual campaign supporters. We need you to help promote this to new audiences.
Homelessness heat maps
Homelessness Australia and Everybody’s Home are creating heat maps that will allow you to click on the map to see the number of people experiencing homelessness and the social housing shortfall in every federal electorate. The heat maps will also be able to be printed out as a PDF to take to your MP, and will be used to generate media stories.
How does it all fit together?
Each part of our advocacy plays an important part of an overall picture. Below are some helpful resources.